In 1989, a Swiss food scientist called Dr Hans-Urich Hertel made some worrying discoveries. The study showed that blood could change after eating food that had been cooked or warmed in a microwave. Especially at risk were babies drinking milk that had been warmed in this way. However initially this information was covered up by the order of the Swiss courts.
I first came across this information around 15 years ago and shocked by what I read I threw my microwave away and never looked back, to the amusement of many a visitor! Until now….
Due to my Paleo lifestyle I spend a lot, yes an awful lot of time in the kitchen, often preparing food for the next day. And the next morning I spend yet again more time heating the prepared food for us all to take with us to work or school. I often think about how easy life would be if I could just pop a container into the microwave and warm it in a ping.
I keep telling myself that 15 years ago I did not have a wifi’d object in every corner of the house. Surely these are just as bad? Maybe they are far, far worse? Maybe the risks from a microwave are a drop in the ocean compared to the time bomb’s we have in our house’s today?
So I am adding to my list – research the dangers of living with and eating food from a microwave oven and then decide how these risks compare to what surrounds us every day. Maybe the safest place is with the Bruderholf community …… But would they have me ?!